Saturday, December 13, 2008

Catching Up...

Well, after a wonderful trip to Disneyland last weekend, it was back to the grind this week. I ran 5 miles with Amber last Saturday (was supposed to do 10), and then just did 4 miles on Monday at the hotel. I missed Tuesday's run since we were driving back from L.A., but was back in the running (pun intended) on Thursday.

Today we did a really nice 10.6-mile run up in Lincoln. We started at about 6:30 a.m., and it was just starting to get light outside. The moon was especially bright because of it's location, so that gave us some added illumination. The first 7 miles or so were good...nothing eventful. I tried out my new knee supports, hoping I would notice a big improvement. But alas, mile 8 hits, and my knees say, "ENOUGH!"

I'm not sure what to do about that...I know it's just overuse. After I get home from a long run, I can normally barely walk. But, after I stretch and take a shower, usually within an hour or so, my knees feel pretty normal. Some days I'll have some residual pain throughout the day, but it's nothing chronic yet. Maybe I should talk to a doctor to see what I can do? Maybe Amber's dad would have some advice since he's a regular marathoner. I don't want to quit at this point. I'm too close to the finish line! But I also don't want to push my body too much. It's just so darn frustrating to be mentally motivated and ready to go, but to be held back by physical ailments. I guess I should be happy it's nothing worse. I mean, it really could be MUCH worse.

At any rate, the run was good. I misjudged the amount of time we had left toward the end. I thought we had about 2.5 miles left, but it took *forever*, and every time we came over a hill, I thought for sure the end would be in sight. When I got home, I checked my route, and realized the last leg was almost 4 miles, not 2.5. Whoops. Sorry, Amber.

We had two pit bulls come running at us about 1/2 way through our run. I was scared out of my pants, but Amber didn't seem phased by them at all! They ended up being nice doggies, and ran with us for a good couple miles. Wonder if they ever found their way back home...

It was supposed to be raining and windy this morning, but I woke up to clear skies, and we had great weather for our whole run! Very chilly, but no wind or rain! Here's a pic:

Only 7 more weeks until race day!